Tuesday, January 17, 2012

If you give a mouse a blue ray player…


Okay, so maybe you are not familiar with the book “If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.” I think the success of this book and its sequels demonstrates how pervasive the snowball effect is. We are all aware, even kids, of these chain reactions. The mouse wants milk to go with the cookie and then a straw, etc.

Well, the other day, we got a new DVD player, okay, technically it is a Blue Ray player. You see my DVD player is really old. I’ve had trouble for awhile now getting it to read the disks I create on my computer. Since I video school performances and provide them for viewing in class the next day, I need to make sure the dvds work. But half the time they don’t, at least not on my player. I’ve hobbled along, but then two things happened that were the final “straws.” First, I indulged and bought the complete Firefly dvds—not Blue Ray, mind you. My player insisted there was no disk in it. Add to this the fact that Blue Ray seems to becoming standard (although that will be only until 3D is the new norm). I couldn’t get my kids the final Harry Potter movie including special features on dvd. Sure the set comes with a movie on regular old dvd, but the special features are only available on Blue Ray.

And so, we bought a new DVD/Blue Ray (but not 3D) player. What does this have to do with mice and cookies? Well, this thing is small—like the size of a thick iPad. I took out the DVD player and connected the new one. Suddenly, I had this table that I really didn’t need. Of course, if I got rid of the table, I would need somewhere to put the TV and player.

In the midst of all of this, I had been going through paperwork in the file drawers which were just too crammed to keep stuffing monthly statements in them, not to mention tax papers that already are arriving. With everything in disarray, and a tiny dvd player, it was time to empty out the closet, purge, reorganize, and rearrange the room.

As I type, I am surrounded by papers and piles, bags and boxes, cables and dust. I’ve been waiting for inspiration for posting something on my blog. I had started back on the 8th so I would post every week. However, I decided it was ridiculous to post only for the sake of it since the ramblings I had from January 6 were boring, pointless, and devoid of humor or purpose. So, this seemed like something to post. After all, I have a feeling that most of us have experienced this chain reaction that buying a new dining room table leads to redoing your entire house, or taking the dog to the dogpark leads to a $50 grooming bill and flea treatment.

The only good thing is that this latest snowball has not led to additional expenditures, so far…

No comments:

Post a Comment